On May 2nd, a Roussillon media wine dinner was held in Shanghai Shangri-La Hotel. More than 10 local media joined: vinehoo.com, TasteSpirit.com, 9pin.com, Global times, Shanghai morning post, Meipin, ctnews.com, Pinzhi.
Eric Aracil, Deputy-Manager of the Roussillon Wines Council (CIVR), hosted the dinner in Shanghai with the help of Jasper. They explained the singularity of the region and of it wines.
Some information on Roussillon:
The Roussillon wine region is shaped like an amphitheater and nestled in the South of France between Spain, the Mediterranean Sea, the Pyrenees & the Corbières Mountains.
Roussillon is a community of small growers, family vineyards with an average size of 10 ha.
* 2 200 wine growers
* 350 private cellars (+25 in the Aude for VDN only).
* 75 % of wine production is driven by 25 caves co-operatives
(+4 in the Aude for VDN only)
* Production mix in wineries
Overall, 24 grape varieties are used: 15 varieties used to make AOP dry wines and 8 varieties used to make AOP Vins Doux Naturels.
- For red and Rose wines: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet-Franc, Marselan, Chenanson.
- For white wines: Chardonnay, Sauvignon blanc.
Evolution of Roussillon wine exports in the world:
* Roussillon dry wines: World total amount is 6,5 million bottles. EUR 23 million.
* Roussillon fortified sweet wines: world total amount is 0.6 million bottles. EUR 3.4 million.
* Export total amount is 7.1 million bottles. Total value is 26.4 million EUR.
During the media wine dinner, Jasper, Wine Director of Shangri-La hotel and runner-up world best sommelier of the South of France, helped to make wine-tasting dinner a unique and unforgettable experience for our media partners. He is well-known to Chinese wine-professionals, as Jasper was also the runner-up for the 9th edition of China’s sommelier competition in 2017.
Roussillon Media Wine Dinner Menu in Shanghai: